Nordic Ski Team
Blackhawk Nordic Ski Team (BNST) is a competitive team for high-school and middle-school cross-country skiers. Our goal is to provide:
- A positive, team-focused Nordic skiing experience.
- Racing opportunities as catalysts for learning to ski and train well.
- A life-long interest in Nordic skiing and fitness.
- Development and growth for skiers of all abilities.
Check out our video produced in 2020 by members of our team! Nordic Ski Team- https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd6bmz6zx14l3g5/BHNST%20Video.mp4?dl=0
BNST competes in Wisconsin Nordic Ski League events on weekends from mid-December through early March. Race participation is optional but encouraged at all skill levels!
Our coaches have skied for NCAA teams and have a wealth of national and international racing experience. We work closely with top national coaches to ensure quality, state-of-the-art programs. In addition, Blackhawk Ski Club has the most extensive snowmaking infrastructure for Nordic skiing in Wisconsin, which ensures fun, safe skiing even when natural snow is scarce.
Middle School Team (grades 5-8). Program cost, $300.
- Dryland training starts December 1, 2021. Practices take place Mondays and Wednesdays 5:30 - 7:00 pm at Blackhawk Ski Club. Activities include strength training, pole hiking, hill bounding, running.
- On-snow training begins in mid-December, Mondays and Wednesdays 5:30-7:00 pm at Blackhawk Ski Club.
High School Team (grades 9-12). Program cost, $400.
- Dryland training starts November 1, 2021. Practice is held 5:30 - 7:00 pm Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, plus Saturday mornings. Activities include roller-skiing, strength training, pole hiking, hill bounding, running. Locations may vary.
- On-snow training begins in mid-December and takes place 4 days per week (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:30 – 7:00 pm) at Blackhawk Ski Club.
Skiers must first have a Limited Access Membership or Full Access Membership in Blackhawk Ski Club before registering for the HS or MS program. Registration for the 2021-2022 season opens September 20, 2021 (for returning club members) and October 4, 2021 (for new club members). See:
Tentative Race Schedule
3-4 Ironwood, MI ski camp
18 Ice Age Invite (Lodi, WI)
8 Snekkevik Classic (Wausau, WI)
9 Iola Invite (Iola, WI)
16 Greenbush Invite (Greenbush, WI)
22-23 Hodag Challenge (Rhinelander, WI)
3 Southern Conference Champs (Delafield, WI)
5-6 CXC Sprints (Madison, WI)
11-13 WNSL State Meet (Cable, WI)
19-20 Rhinelander JNQ (as a team event, TBD)
26 American Birkebeiner (not a team event, just for reference)
5-6 Loopy Loppet (Minocqua, WI)
Carol Barford. Mom of 2 BNST alums and recovering triathlete. Coach, shepherd or manager with BNST since 2011.
Nathan Haggerty. UW-Hoofers alum. Lifetime nordic and (Gasp!) downhill skiier. First-year BNST coach.
Alysa Hinde. UW-Hoofers alum. Making it fun (or at least trying to!) for BNST skiers since 2019.
Chris Lawn. He coaches, he grooms, he founded Nordic Kids! Growing Nordic at Blackhawk for over 15 years.
Helen Matsoff. UW-Hoofers alum and classic specialist. Bringing that Minnesota-Nordic vibe for a second year!
Danny Sonnentag. UW-Hoofers and Peak Nordic alum. Keeping BNST skiers honest since 2016.
Steve Swenson (head coach). NCAA Division II skier, USSS certified coach and student of all things Nordic. BNST coach since 2010.
All coaches and adult volunteers who ski with the team are Safe-Sport certified and take COVID safety seriously. BNST follows Dane County orders and Blackhawk Ski Club protocols for everyone’s health and well-being.
Questions? Email email@example.com.