Nordic Ski Team
Blackhawk Nordic Ski Team (BNST) is a competitive team for high-school and middle-school cross-country skiers. Our goal is to provide:
- A positive, team-focused Nordic skiing experience.
- Racing opportunities as catalysts for learning to ski and train well.
- A life-long interest in Nordic skiing and fitness.
- Development and growth for skiers of all abilities.
Our coaches have skied for NCAA teams and have a wealth of national and international racing experience. We work closely with top national coaches to ensure quality, state-of-the-art programs. We endeavor to keep fees reasonable based on our philosophy that youth sport should be experiential, not transactional.
BNST trains at Blackhawk Ski Club's 60-acre facility, which has the most extensive snowmaking infrastructure for Nordic skiing in Wisconsin. This ensures fun, safe skiing even when natural snow is scarce.
BNST competes in Wisconsin Nordic Ski League events from mid-December through early March. Race participation is optional but encouraged at all skill levels!
Middle School Team (grades 5-8):
- Dryland training starts December 2, 2019 and takes place 2 days per week (Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:15 - 6:45 PM) at Blackhawk Ski Club.
- On-snow training begins in mid-December and takes place 2 days per week (Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:15 - 6:45 PM) at Blackhawk Ski Club.
High School Team (grades 9-12):
- Dryland training begins November 4, 2019 and takes place 4 days per week (Saturday mornings plus 3 weeknights from 5:15 - 6:45 PM); locations may vary.
- On-snow training begins in mid-December and takes place 4 days per week (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 5:15 - 6:45 PM) at Blackhawk Ski Club.
Claire Luby was captain of the Middlebury College Nordic ski team (NCAA Div III). Claire has coached for both Loppet Nordic Racing and Blackhawk, helping many racers move into state championship, collegiate and national-level racing.
Steve Swenson skied for Northern Michigan University (NCAA Div II) and is a USSA-Certified Coach. Steve has coached Wisconsin Nordic Ski League championship teams and successful Junior National and collegiate skiers.
Danny Sonnentag skied for Peak Nordic in high school and then for UW–Madison’s Nordic ski team. Danny helped lead BNST’s middle school girls team to 1st place in the 2017 WNSL state championships, and the middle school boys to 2nd place in 2019.
$300 for Middle School; $400 for High School. Program fees include race entry costs but not travel costs. Race participation is strongly encouraged but not required.
All skiers must provide their own boots. NNN or Salomon-type combi boots are preferred for skiers who are starting out. First year skiers can use club-owned skis and poles for free; returning skiers may rent skis and poles for a fee of $100 for the season. If using team skis, please let coach Steve Swenson know the brand of boots purchased so that the correct bindings can be mounted on team skis (firstname.lastname@example.org). Boots may be available to rent but availability of the proper size is not guaranteed. In general, availability of youth sizes is limited both online and in stores. Families should purchase boots as soon as possible!
Participants must have a Limited Access Membership or Full Access Membership to Blackhawk Ski Club. The program is open to anyone in the greater Madison area.
Registration for the 2019-2020 season opens September 9, 2019 (for returning club members) and September 23, 2019 (for new club members).
Questions? Email email@example.com
General questions about cross-country skiing at Blackhawk Ski Club can also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org