Blackhawk Alpine Race Team (BART)
Purpose: The Blackhawk Alpine Race Team, BART, is an alpine (downhill) ski race team. Skiers will train on Hill 2 (West Chalet), and Leonard way and Hill 6 (East Chalet), and can compete in four WIJARA ski races, plus additional USSA and independent races.
- Skiers or Skiers’ parent must have a discussion with the head coach prior to enrollment. Skier placement in BART programs is at the Coach’s discretion.
- First year skiers are expected to attend at least 2 of the 2-day WIJARA races. Returning skiers are strongly encouraged to participate in all 4 of the 2-day WIJARA events and are expected at 3.
- All participants must be members of Blackhawk Ski Club.
- Parents are required to volunteer for race day work at a minimum of 2 races. Parent help is needed for pre-season hill maintenance. All parents are expected to assist with the Tyrol race, which BART co-hosts. Blackhawk Ski Club is primarily run and maintained by volunteers, so parent assistance is critical to the success of the program.
- For racers involved in USSA, parents are required to volunteer one-half day for each day raced.
Team Size: The team is limited in size and age distribution to ensure the safety of all racers during practices. Team limits are evaluated annually upon registration to ensure the safety of all racers, and low coach to racer instruction ratio. The team regularly runs a waiting list from one season to the next. Please contact Chad Oistad at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the waiting list.
Schedule: Racers will be divided for practices by age and ability. Dryland training will take place on Sunday afternoons starting in October. Practice times and locations are subject to change, based on hill conditions. Regular practices begin December 5th, conditions permitting, and follow the following schedule:
Younger racers, typically 10 and under, will practice:
- Tuesdays, 6:00 to 8:00 PM on hill 2.
- Thursdays, 5:30 to 7:00 PM on Leonard Way and hill 6.
Older racers, typically 11 and over, practice on Leonard Way/Hill 6, conditions permitting, and are encouraged to attend a minimum of 2 of the following practices each week:
- Tuesdays, 6:00 to 8:00 PM.
- Wednesdays, 6:00 to 8:00 PM.
- Thursday, 6:30 to 8:00 PM.
In addition, we will have additional training days at Cascade Mountain, dates TBD.
WIJARA: The Wisconsin Junior Alpine Racing Association (WIJARA) coordinates four Saturday and Sunday races during the months of January and February. A fifth non-league race is also held in March. An optional ski camp is also held at Ski Brule in Iron River, MI over the Thanksgiving Holiday for an additional fee.
WIJARA Race dates for the 2020 season:
- Chestnut - Galena, IL - January 11-12
- Cascade – Portage, WI - February 1-2
- Sundown - Dubuque, IA - February 8-9
- Tyrol – Mt. Horeb, WI - February 22-23
- JT Hilligoss Memorial Race - Devils Head
- Mt. La Crosse – La Crosse, WI
- Brule Finale
- Spring Slalom Race at Tyrol
- Big Nut Cup at Chestnut
USSA: Racers who want to compete at higher levels can also compete in USSA races. United States Ski Association (USSA) operates out of the Central Division, Region 2. Racers must be registered as a USSA member as well as Region 2 member to participate in events as either a scored or unscored athlete. USSA race dates are TBD.
Equipment: Skis, race helmets (soft-ear panels are not permitted), leather gloves/mittens and ski poles are required. Additional equipment may be recommended depending on skier ability, including pole and shin guards and speed suits. Note that USSA may have different requirements than WIJARA.
Cost: $300/skier. A WIJARA fee of $30 will be paid directly to WIJARA by each racer through their online system. Further details will be provided.
Coaches: Our coaches consist of several former ski racers who know how to make practice fun.
Registration: Prior authorization in the form of a registration authorization code is required to complete registration via the Blackhawk Ski Club website.
Questions: Please direct any questions to Chad Oistad at email@example.com